There are several ways to prepare a grilled salmon recipe, but when you’re looking for a quick grill recipe then this is highly recommended. If you ask me this recipe is a must try in summers and because of its succulent white meat and firm texture its one of my favorite seafood. This recipe is simple, delicious and easy to prepare in a short span of time.
The good old grilled salmon and it's traits
Not just for the purpose of grilling, this seafood that is used in many recipes and a hot favorite of chefs around the world. On the other hand salmon is just perfect to experiment with different flavors.
During summers when you’re firing up your grill this lemon salmon combo is one incredible appetizer and my craving graph reaches its peak every time I’m up for grilling seafood. What I love even more is the punch of garlic and herbs that makes it super tasty.
Apart from taste this fish is good for heart and has other health benefits as well. If we consider the grill time, usually salmon takes 10-12 minutes. So this recipe is less time consuming and easy on the grill.
I recommend fresh, but frozen works too
Salmon is an expensive fish and you may not always find the fresh lot available in the market as its supply exceeds demand. So if you get anything fresh that’s excellent else you can make a mouth watering recipe with the frozen (packed) ones.
How important is the skin on salmon Fillets?
Well, this is completely a matter of choice. Either you want to keep the skin or remove it, it’s up to you. Sharing my experience here I like to peel off the skin so that the marinade or spice mix gets soaked into both sides.
If you find it difficult to remove the skin off the fillet you can ask your vendor or butcher and they could do it for you.
Quick Tip: It is important to choose the fish with the right thickness. Thin fillets really don’t go well in the grill when you’ve peeled off the skin.
It's time to marinade
To begin with we’ll add finely chopped garlic & fresh herbs (chopped thyme, rosemary & parsley), along with them olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and honey. Let’s whisk them well. Not to forget salt and pepper.
Then we’ll take a shallow dish or tray and place the salmon fillets, then pour the marinade over the fillet. Make sure the dish is large enough so that the fillets are perfectly placed.
Cover the dish and refrigerate for 25-30 minutes. Call an interval and flip the fillets once during that time.
Quick Tip: It’s recommended not to refrigerate the marinade beyond 30 minutes. After that it’ll begin to alter the texture of salmon since the marinade includes lemon juice and mustard that has acidic ingredients.
Lets put some grill marks
Now time to take the marinade out and put them to face the heat but let’s do these proceedings for the best outcome.
- If grilling outdoors use a charcoal grill, but you can also use a grill pan instead if you don’t’ have one. Now preheat the grill 5-10 minutes prior grilling. Clean the grill gates and brush them well with oil.
- Place the fillets on the grill and let them cook slowly. Don’t just place and forget, keep flipping the fillets and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- If you want your fillet to be a little pinkish in the centre then it’s time you remove the fillets else you can keep grilling for 30-40 seconds more on each side.
So, it’s time for the plating and I prefer garnishing this smoked beauty with chopped parsley with mustard sauce (optional) and decorate with lemon wedges or slices whatever you like.
Quick Tip: The grill time depends on the thickness of the fillets and also your preference of cooking. As I mentioned earlier thin fillets don’t go well on the grill.
Grilled Lemon Garlic Herb Salmon
- 6-7 oz salmon fillet (gives 4 fillets)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley (keep more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 4 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 2 tsp minced fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp dijon mustard & honey
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- In a tray or dish(approx 12” x 8”), place the salmon fillets.
- Now add all the ingredients for the marinade i.e. lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, garlic, lemon zest, Dijon mustard, honey, 1 teaspoon salt & teaspoon ground pepper in a mixing bowl and whisk them properly.
- After the mixture is ready pour it over the fillets and rub evenly all over them. Cover the tray and allow them to refrigerate for 30 minutes turning once halfway through.
- Now preheat the grill to med-high heat at least 5-10 minutes before grilling the fish.
- Brush the grill grates with little olive oil which prevents the fillet from sticking. Take out the tray and spread some of the leftover marinades onto salmon (No wastage of ingredients). Time to put them on the grill.
- Grill each side for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve this marvelous beauty garnished with parsley or plating with a bit of mustard sauce(optional).
- In this recipe, the thickness of fillets matters a lot. Look out for a side of salmon or fillets which are at least 1 inch thick.
- Salmon sticks with the grill quite easily, make sure to brush the grill gates.